Bursary Assistance Program GUIDE
Effective from September 2021 to March 2022
The Bursary Program is designed to assist those students who are entering or continuing their post secondary education, and also meet the eligibility criteria for Legion affiliation.
The Bursary Program is funded through the Ontario Command Branches and Ladies’ Auxiliaries Charitable Foundation. Ontario Command branches, and our Auxiliaries, raise funds for the Bursary Program through Poppy Tagging, and other activities such as Bingo, Break Open Tickets, Banquets and Clubhouse Operations.
When a student submits an application for consideration of an award, gross family income, student income and assets, the number of dependents residing at home and/or attending a post secondary school of education, whether a student is residing at home or in residence, etc. are all taken into account.
To be eligible for bursary funds, the student must be enrolled in a post secondary school and:
- Be an Ex-Service Personnel or currently serving member of The Canadian Forces (Regular, Reserve and Merchant Navy) and their children and grandchildren. Commonwealth war veterans and their children and grandchildren, or
- Be an Ordinary or Life Member of a branch of The Royal Canadian Legion, or the child or grandchild of an Ordinary or Life Member of a branch of The Royal Canadian Legion, or
- Be an Associate Member of a branch of The Royal Canadian Legion, or the child of an Associate Member of a branch of The Royal Canadian Legion, or
- Be a member of the Ladies’ Auxiliary of a branch of The Royal Canadian Legion, or the child or grandchild of a member of the Ladies’ Auxiliary of a branch of The Royal Canadian Legion.
- Step children and step grandchildren are recognized the same as children and grandchildren, and considered where applicable.
Students are required to make application to OSAP in order to be eligible for financial consideration under the Bursary Program. If ineligible under OSAP, a copy of the OSAP View Application Details (fully expanded) and Status Summary confirming ineligibility must be attached to the application.
Hardcopy Legion Bursary Application Forms are also available at most secondary school guidance offices, and at the financial aid offices of most post secondary education institutions. If you have difficulty locating an application form, contact the Legion branch nearest you.
The responsibility for the completed application form rests with the applicant. If the application is mailed directly to the Ontario command office without the proper information, endorsements, and/or documents, no consideration will be given to it.
The Ontario command office must receive a COMPLETE APPLICATION from students who are currently attending Post Secondary Education by the last Friday of March in any scholastic year.
Send applications to:
The Royal Canadian Legion
Ontario Provincial Command
89 Industrial Parkway North
Aurora, ON L4G 4C4